Saturday, January 17, 2009

Playing Cinderella

A pair of high heeled shoes has the power to make a woman lose her mind temporarily, where a casual flirtation becomes a love affair that can quickly turn into a full-blown obsession.

No where else is this more true than in Manhattan, where the world of high heels knows no limits and where shoes seem to be more addictive than coffee and cigarettes put together.

Angelina Jolie wearing Christian Louboutins for V magazine

The ultimate high heel, the most coveted in this city, are the Louboutins. Manhattan women save up for months for the now famous scarlet soles. So, in the name of research I walked into my first Christian Louboutin boutique in the West Village to see what all the fuss was about, I mean can a pair of shoes really be worth this much? And not just for their $600 plus price tag, but for all the worship they inspire? - Even Suri Cruise has a custom-made pair.

Katie Holmes in patent blue Louboutins at the Met's Costume Institute Gala

The boutique itself is a small, low-key spectacle. Made of brick, the store is on a quiet corner surrounded by other brown-stone houses, and is only known from the tiny pink neon sign in the window.

First off I picked up one-half of a heavily embellished pair of platform high heels. They were $4,500. Yes, $4,500. I, too, lost consciousness.

Suede Louboutins in pretty pastels from the spring 09' collection -
Harper's Bazaar Feb 09

Next I plucked a classic pump off the shelf, which were a more reasonable $695 (I can just see my boyfriend, Bruce, rolling his eyes at this observation) and popped it on. And yes, the tales are true. In an instant I felt different. Somehow more grown-up, graceful and elegant.

However, I am all too aware that maintaining a relationship with Mr. Louboutin, no matter how effortlessly chic I feel in his shoes, would be extravagantly expensive.

Like any addiction, you only end up wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment