Thursday, January 29, 2009

Eat this

I've become a bit of a bookworm since I moved here, mainly because I don't want to waste the 30 minutes I spend on the subway each day dumbly staring at the cringe-worthy ads plastered all over the train walls.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath was a depressing but excellent read (special thanks to Charlette), and if you're a fan of The Lovely Bones or The Time Travellers Wife, you'll love Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.


But my new book obsession is I Was Told There'd Be Cake, written by a twenty-something suburban girl who moves to the big city (New York), and in a very Carrie Bradshaw way recounts her adventures and mis-adventures in a collection of rip-roaring essays - which is made all the more resonant by living here.


If you get a chance, pick it up. It's like tuning into a episode of Gossip Girl every time you open it - very addictive.

1 comment:

  1. you are so very welcome, I am glad you enjoyed x

    ReplyDelete