Sunday, May 17, 2009

Get high

Prada Fall 09

Claudia, the very lovely fashion director at Harper's Bazaar sauntered into work the other day wearing tiny denim cut-offs and some very enviable thigh-high black suede boots. Stevie, the fashion editor at Russh, wore her thigh-highs throughout RAFW. Then of course there's Prada, Rodarte and those Margiela thigh-highs on Carine Roitfeld.

I've always thought of thigh-high boots as a bit trashy, a bit prostitute chic, a bit of a no-go really. Clearly there is something I'm missing.

I guess this thigh-highness does inspire me to start a 100-squats-a-day routine immediately, but it also leaves me wondering; how do you look less Julia Roberts in Pretty Women and more Barberella? Jeans are key, steer clear of anything resembling a patent leather finish and let suede (à la Marc Jacobs) be your new best friend.

Update (27/5/09): We just got the Prada thigh-high gumboots (above) into to work and I have no words. I'm also rendered speechless thanks to the thigh-high Hermes suede numbers staring at me, and the fact they are situated next to a black Birkin doesn't help matters. I have major boot envy.

Marc Jacobs Fall 09

Rodarte Fall 09




Photos courtesy of Garance Dore

No comments:

Post a Comment