Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Snow, snow, snow, snow




Photos courtesy of the New York Times and The Daily News

I should be in a taxi to JFK airport right now, getting ready to fly to L.A. and then onto Auckland. But instead, I'm sitting at my local cafe having breakfast and watching a blizzard unfold - the worst we've had all winter, go figure.

According to the New York Times, New York dispatched 1,600 plows to deal with the storm and an army of salt spreaders who put down 130,000 tons of rock salt on the roads and pavements. Not that it does much good - as soon as a plow goes past a blanket of snow falls minutes later, which seems to be good news for the kids being dragged in toboggans by their Starbucks carrying mothers.

While 6-inches on snow fell on Manhattan overnight, another 5-inches is expected to fall by the end of the day - that's a whole 11-inches of powdery snow! If I weren't in such a bad mood about my cancelled flight, and if my gumboots weren't packed right at the bottom of my suitcase, I'd be having a lot of fun right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment